March 21, 2009

Peter and the Wolf the Way it Should Be


My clearest musical memory as a young child is listening to Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" on the record player. The rich melodies, vivid storyline, and perfect characterizations instilled in me a love of classical music that continues to this day. I can remember listening to the melody, reading along in the liner notes, unfolding Peter's small and somehow familiar world in my imagination. Having the chance to share this piece with my daughter, and understanding it better as an adult, has given me an immense appreciation for how special it is. Certain passages still make my heart leap.

Therefore, I'm overjoyed beyond words to have come across Suzie Templeton's stop-motion film recreation of this tale. Many others must feel the same; it won the 2008 Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film. It deserves every bit of praise that it receives. The puppetry and scenery are stunning. Where some might have oversimplified a story that has so many levels of meaning, she has managed to add to it with the depth of the characters and her interpretation of events. 

Doesn't hurt that the bird is portrayed by a flight-challenged crow either.  :)












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric this is amazing!! Thank you for introducing me to it!!

How would you feel about me citing you and your website on my blog and letting me post your blog entry on my blog for my readers to see? I love what you wrote about it as well and would love to share it. Let me know what you think. I can also just post a link to your blog as opposed to pasting what you wrote onto mine, if you prefer.

Ashley

The Winter Crow said...

Absolutely! I keep watching it over and over, finding something new every time. Feel free to post or link away. Thanks!

- Eric (Winter Crow)