May 4, 2009

Creating Cool Campers




I've worked with the Newmarket Recreation Center on their program materials for a long time now - even before I left art school - so once again this year I helped them create their summer camp t-shirt, shown above. The program's mascot is a reptile named Rex. He's a real party animal and he gets to go on some truly grand adventures. He's been a time traveller, a ballet dancer, a magician, an amusement park connoisseur, and a pro-sports player, among many other things. For a cartoon iguana, he gets around.

This year the theme was "Unwind and Rewind in Summer '09." The kids have had a rough year and will be in school extra long (I think they get out almost in July!), so they'll need some time to unwind. Then they'll have a blast IN the past playing games with retro themes from the 50s to the 00s. Originally, the idea was music-related, but needed to be simplified and altered because they're not allowed to have electronic devices at camp. It would be a bummer if Rex could jam to his tunes and they couldn't.

I'm working today on a set of marketing materials for an upcoming art exhibit, and I really like how they're coming out, so keep your eyes peeled - I'll post them next time so you can see them too...


No comments: